Thursday, September 4, 2014

Who Do You Listen To?

I was reading a recipe recently and the author said she uses white rice instead of brown rice because it digests easier.  Then I read a cereal box that stated brown rice is better for your digestion.  Uhhhh... what?  It seemed contrary to one another until I asked a licensed nutritionist and the mystery was explained.

White rice is processed and goes through your digestive tract quicker. That's not necessarily better.  Brown rice is natural and it takes longer to digest. The benefit is that the slow digestion doesn't drive up your blood sugar as quickly. I've learned that controlling your blood sugar is a big part of the weight loss battle in addition to sustaining energy.

Here's another one: Muscle weighs more than fat.  I know you've heard this one before but it didn't make sense to me.  I mean, pound for pound, it would be the same right?  Right!  BUT, per square inch, muscle does weigh more.  It just doesn't take up as much ROOM as fat.  Muscle is more dense.

There are so many mixed messages out there in regards to health and wellness.  The industry is predicted to be the next trillion dollar industry! There are so many theories and gimmicks out there, so beware of who you listen to! Use your common sense. Anything that makes you lose weight without changing what you eat or exercising is probably not good for you.

The results of my plan this week weren't all that different from the week before. I still lost a little bit of weight but my measurements didn't really change. I'm going to focus more on my choices and when Aunt Flow leaves, I'm sure my bloating will decrease.  I have two more weeks to go on the Ignite phase and I am so happy to have lost over 10 pounds so far.  Still feeling good!!

Next week, my friend Antonio Meade from TNT Gourmet Treats will be bringing gluten-free treats to the Wellness Club meeting. I'll be missing Bunco for the first time in a long time, but this lifestyle change is very important to me.  It's working for me and it's working for my friends as well.  I love seeing the results! Let me know if you would like to join me for the meeting on Wednesday, September 10th at 6:30pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment