Monday, January 2, 2012

Journey vs. Destination

At 43, I am wondering why I am still searching. For what, you ask? For my passion. For my purpose. Then I came across a writer that has a completely different outlook on the second half of her life.

At 32, Debra Eve became an archaeologist. At 42, a martial arts instructor. At 46, she married the love of her life! Now she writes about fellow late bloomers while plotting her next grand adventure. She claims to be a "later bloomer", finding her passion outside of the socially accepted timeline. I, too, am a late bloomer. I say that because I don't believe I've actually bloomed yet and... it's getting kinda late.

Debra isn't looking to find herself. She's looking to find what makes her happy at that moment. It's not a destination Debra is working toward, it's the journey. I appreciate that she focuses on making the journey as fulfilling as possible and not worrying about what it might look like.

Have you ever heard the saying "follow your bliss"? Perhaps I shall use that as my mantra this year and hope for that "aha" moment. Care to join me?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks Patty! I'm so flattered. Wine is one of my passions, too, so I love what you do.

    And seriously, it's never too late. You should read about some the fascinating 70, 80 and 90-year-olds on my blog who find their thing at that age. (I've got a DJ, a few marathon runners and a competitive hip-hop dancer for starters!)

    ReplyDelete